There are few things that can make you miserable like a common cold. It can come out of nowhere, over a few hours and attack your ability to focus because of the coughing, sneezing, headache, chills and more. The cough will keep you awake at night, robbing you of valuable rest needed to fight the cold.
The problem with OTC medicines is that they each have their own set of problems ranging from drowsiness, upset stomach, dry mouth and more. But a cold can be effectively combated by using natural honey. It’s safe and effective and it helps with other ailments too!
Here are a few ways you can treat your cold naturally.
1. Honey and Cinnamon
Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, antiviral, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that not only fight colds but help prevent them as well.
- Mix one tablespoon of lukewarm honey and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Consume this twice a day for three days.
Note: You can add this honey and cinnamon mix onto fruit, hot water, fruit juices, tea – anyway you would like to take it etc.
The wonderful thing about honey is that you do not need to mix it with anything to feel its benefits. Consuming honey on a regular basis will help treat colds and their symptoms, as well as many other health problems.
- Consume one tablespoon of honey at the first sign of a cold or cough.
- Note: You can add honey and lemon juice to tea or warm water if you do not want to consume it raw.
3. Honey Gargle
Got that sore throat that won’t go away? Honey gargles ease the pain of a sore throat.
- Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice with two cups of hot water.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Gargle the solution.
4. Honey, Lemon, and Ginger
This is one you can use as a hot drink whenever you need it through the duration of your cold.
- Obtain an 8 ounce canning jar.
- Quarter a whole lemon and place the slices in the jar.
- Grate a 1.5” square nob of ginger and add to the jar.
- Mix and add enough honey to fill the jar while stirring the mixture. Soak for a few hours and then add 1 or 2 teaspoons of the mixture to hot water and drink.
- Note: Make sure to keep the jar in the refrigerator for further use.
5. Honey and Cinnamon Tea
This tea is a must for the night cough! Honey and cinnamon suppress cough, which allows a person with cold symptoms to get a better night sleep.
- Steep 0.5 to 3 teaspoons of cinnamon bark in a cup of water for five minutes, then remove the bark.
- Add 2 teaspoons of honey and mix well.
- Note: It is best to drink this tea before bed to improve the quality of sleep.
6. Honey and Brandy
Brandy has antimicrobial properties that thin the mucus built up by the cold. If this mixture is consumed prior to bed, it will help the cold sufferer breathe freely, limit cough, and ease a sore throat, thus allowing for a better night’s sleep.
- Boil approximately 3 ounces of water.
- Pour 1.5 to 2 ounces of brandy into a tea cup.
- Add the hot water to the brandy and stir in a teaspoon of honey.Squeeze a lemon wedge into the tea.
- Repeat as needed.
7. Honey and Whiskey Hot Toddy
This was a favorite for families before there was cold medicine. Whiskey can aid in relieving cold symptoms. Bourbon helps treat congestion and sore throat, while Irish whiskey is helpful for treating a persistent cough.
- Combine equal parts whiskey, honey, and fresh lemon into a mug.
- Microwave until the mixture is hot and slowly sip.
Why our honey works
Our Hometown Honey® works because it’s full of anti-septic, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties, making it a natural cold and infection fighting food. Be sure to stock up today so you have enough through the cold season! You can buy it online or at one of the locations that carry our line of honey products. Visit our website now at hometownhoney.com