We are proud to own a business making 100% Pure & Raw Honey. We sell in locations all around the Metro Atlanta area, at Farmer’s Markets and, of course, here online. While we are out buzzing around, we often get asked “what are the benefits of honey“? The benefits of honey are many. It’s not just a food. We thought we would write this article to inspire you to incorporate raw honey into your lifestyle as well as your diet!
Dietary Uses of Honey
Honey has many benefits to help digestion, stomach aches and even assist in weight loss.
- Improve digestion – Use a tablespoon or two to counteract indigestion. Honey will not ferment in the stomach.
- Lose weight – Substituting raw honey in place of white sugar can help in weight management. Use it in your coffee, tea or recipes.
- Relieve nausea – Mix honey with ginger and lemon juice to help counteract nausea. If taken early enough, this can often ward off nausea and it’s much better than taking nausea pills which can lead to drowsiness.
- Pre-biotic support – Raw honey is full of natural pre-biotics. Pre-biotics promote the growth of good bacteria in the intestine. Good bacteria has shown to help prevent illnesses and other stomach related issues.
Beauty and Skin Care
- Acne cure – Honey can be used as an affordable face cleanser to fight off acne. It can be used on all skin types. Take half a teaspoon of honey, warm between hands and spread on face gently. Leave on face for 10 minutes or so, then rinse thoroughly with warm water. Pat dry.
- Exfoliator – Honey makes a great exfoliator! Use honey on dry winter skin by adding two cups of honey to a bath, soak for 15 minutes, then add one cup of baking soda for the final 15 minutes. Your skin will be fresh and smooth!
- Moisturize – Rather than spending money on expensive lotions, try using raw honey! It only takes a spoonful of raw honey mixed with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. Use this as a hydrating lotion.
- Hair mask – Raw honey hair mask can help boost shine! Mix 1 teaspoon of raw honey with 5 cups of warm water, rinse thoroughly , air dry and style as usual.
- Eczema relief – Use to treat mild eczema. Use it as a topical mixture of equal parts of honey and cinnamon.
While we do not profess to be physicians, we can share some of our own experiences related to how honey has helped relieve health issues in a positive way. By no means are we saying that you should forego medical attention. You should always check with your medical provider any time you make changes that could affect your health.
- Lower cholesterol – Incorporating honey into your diet can help reduce cholesterol and therefore decrease your risk for coronary artery disease.
- Improve circulation – Raw honey helps your brain function optimally because it improves blood circulation which strengthens the heart.
- Antioxidant support – Consumption of raw honey may increase plaque-fighting antioxidants.
- Restore Sleep – Raw honey promotes restful sleep. Add a tablespoon to warm milk to help increase melatonin and help you sleep.
- Improve allergies – Local raw honey can help reduce seasonal allergies. Take a teaspoon of raw, local honey daily, year round, to reduce seasonal allergies.
- Reduce asthma symptoms– Raw honey has agents that can treat respiratory conditions such as asthma.
- Heal wounds – Raw honey can be used on external cuts, scraps to quicken the healing time. It is also helpful for burns or rashes.
- Relieve sore throat – Honey uses for sore throats is another fantastic remedy. Simply mix it with lemon juice or peppermint oil for fast acting benefits. You can also use it with lemon juice in hot tea for a quick relief to a sore throat.
Raw honey is a wonderful thing to keep in stock around your home. As you can see, it provides a number of helpful uses and this article has only touched the surface of those.
Have you got a great use for honey that you would like to share? Contact us! We would LOVE to share your ideas on our BEE-Lievers page!